SGA zeroes out General Fund for the semester
The Student Government Association fully funded banquet requests and passed 11 appropriations in its last meeting regarding the items.
In funding three banquet requests, SGA “zeroed out” its General Fund, according to Treasurer Chris Rome.
Rome also said the organization will be moving money into the reserve.
“It looks like we’re going to be running a pretty big surplus … we haven’t had that in a while,” he said.
President Kirsten Allen said Jazzman’s will stay open until midnight once the library begins staying open 24/7 for the last two weeks of school beginning Sunday. After midnight, Jazzman’s will provide free drip coffee for students studying.
In other news, Liberal Arts President Alana Marcello announced she will step down as president due to schedule conflicts in the spring semester.
While students are leaving for Thanksgiving, these appropriations are passing:
- Kalyn Asevedo received $95 from the Total College Fund for Individuals to attend the Health Information Management Conference from Sept. 27-30.
- Trasima Richard received $262.60 from the TCFI to attend the 29th Annual Women in Educational Leadership Conference from Oct. 3-5 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Stephen Williams received $256.20 from the TCFI to attend the Symposium of North Eastern Accelerator Personnel in Albuquerque, New Mexico from Sept. 28 to Oct. 1.
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers received $430 from the Total College Fund for Organizations to attend the Women Engineers National Conference in Nashville, Tennessee from Oct. 22-25.
- Yi Weng received $281.50 from the TCFI to attend the 2015 OSA Technical Group Leadership Meeting in San Jose, California from Oct. 18-22.
- Sarah Gawronski received $60 from the TCFI to attend the South Central MLA in Nashville, Tennessee from Oct. 31 to Nov. 4.
- The National Organization of Minority Architecture Students from the TCFO to attend the 43rd Annual NOMA Conference and Exhibition from Oct. 1-17.
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. received $279.70 from the TCFO to attend the Southwestern Region 75th Regional Conference from March 16-20.
- The Ragin’ Cajun Catholics received $850.25 from the TCFI to attend the Student Leadership Summit in Dallas, Texas from Jan. 1-5.
- Hisham Eldardiry received $349.50 from the TCFI to attend the American Meteorological Society’s 30th Conference on Hydrology in New Orleans from Jan. 11-14.
- Theta Xi Fraternity received $240.56 from the TCFO to attend the Rising Stars Academy in Potori, MIssouri from Jan. 15-18. The cost covers staff fees, while the rest of the banquet expenses were covered by ticket costs.
In banquet requests:
- Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity received $895 from the General Fund to help fund its Chartering Banquet, which was held on Oct. 24.
- The Student Leadership Council received $600 from the GF for t-shirts for the Emerging Leaders Summit, which is scheduled for Feb. 20 at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The summit, which has an 88 percent acceptance rate, will be open to freshmen and sophomore students.
- The Malaysian Indonesian Singaporean Student Organization received $424.76 from the GF to hold the 2015 MISSO Cultural Banquet on Oct. 9. The money covers henna cones, t-shirts and polaroid film, which was offered to on a first-come, first-serve basis.